Thursday, August 20, 2009

Vacation- Had to get Away

The past few weeks have been so busy that I did not blog.
First I had final exams- not as easy now as it was in my younger years.
Then my step grandmother had surgery for skin cancer. With she and my grandad in their eighties, nothing is ever simple.
I then went on vacation with my 15 year old and my boyfriend. Upon our return from Washington DC; I went to my hometown(three hours away) to see my oldest and dearest girlfriend for a few days. The local public schools started yesterday, so I am now finally having a few minutes of down time.

Kayla and I met the week I turned three, she was a few months younger than me. We do not remember that first few years of friendship. We do know how it affected our childhood and adulthood. You do not choose your family; but you choose your closest friends. If a person is lucky they will have two or three lifetime friends that love them despite their faults. Kayla is mine. We talk weekly, visit yearly. She knows me better than anyone.

Girlfriends are important. I say this because many of us give up on finding a grownup best friend. Women are sometimes not so nice. To say the least.

Every mom needs to have a friend to turn to when the kids have taken over every crevice of our normal daily life. You may talk for five minutes once a week, but stay connected to other women. Fellow Moms ignore the cries of kids in the background- some of mine just talk louder.
Our kids have friends they talk to, hang out with, play with, and fight with. What makes us think that in the adult world we need less support or connection? We need MORE support, more friends to tell us we are right- or wrong. Push thru the busy schedule for some "me time".

2 comments:

  1. Good points! I enjoy talking, e-mailing, or meeting up with friends. May not see them as often, but when I do, it is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am agree with u..
    sometimes we need a friend,..or neighbour,..more important n closer than our real brother/sister..
    ........

    ReplyDelete