Sunday, August 2, 2009

A young person explains Facebook to a mom

I use Facebook. I have been able to reconnect with old friends, and become a part of their journey into middle age. I have a few hundred "friends"- only a few acquaintances. I greatly enjoy viewing glimpses of the good friends in high school and what they became.
Only two of my friends stuck with their high school dreams.

So my 15 year old was getting her hair cut and highlighted ( she looks so grown up). Our hairdresser happens to be a good friends daughter.
She tells my daughter- look me up on Facebook as soon as you get home- I posted pictures of the puppy.
She(hairdresser) then explains that most teens and young adults look up the people they come into contact with. " it is the first thing I do when I meet someone- of course I have to request they be my friend." My daughter nods in agreement, telling me she would never have a second conversation with a boy until she is able to "research his life on facebook". She has close to 900 friends on facebook. My oldest has close to 1,000 "friends".
Good to know, since I am her friend on Facebook.
The girls then explain how they see us as facebook users. " you just want to look at old friends, most adults do not have many current friends on FB." We on the other hand consider it vital to building relationships. the girls explain that if a person has many shared friends with you Then consider what type of person those friends are- and would I let them into my close circle "

I just felt that this knowledge should be passed on to other "us" - I think they meant mom/ dad kinda people. Interesting, I am really going to focus on developing my Facebook friends from my current life, not just the old days.

The girls reminded me that it is more accurate than verbal gossip.
True.

1 comment:

  1. nice FB,..Mom
    there re many usage from FB,..to connect a friends,..fr the whole of the world..
    but if we cant controlle our time,..it so..so wasting..!!!..he.he
    like in my country too,..
    Many officer complain to their employee,..who wast their work time with FB activities..he..he

    ReplyDelete