Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mid Summer Tan

I took off for the Water park Friday with my 15 year old and a friend of hers. Magic Springs, it is a 40 minute drive from my home.

The girls leave their belongings with me; I gather our towels and various accessories to create our space at the "leisure area". AKA mom placement. They disappear to the roller coasters.
I look around- moms every where- this is our delegated area of the water park. We get to sit by the wave pool and get some sunshine. Everywater park mom knows that our job is to be ready for emergencies- but not get in the way.

I tan fairly well- and so being the brilliant overseer- I put sunscreen on the girls- but did not put it on me. Do we see where this is going?

I head for the edge of the pool ( about ten inches of water lapping over my legs) and lay around for about two hours before the girls show up to get a drink. My daughter mentions my ankles look pink. I dab sunscreen and then flip over to my stomach. Another hour goes by- I notice other moms getting red, but I think I am getting a nice " glow".

It is hot so I head to deeper water for an hour. My ankles are burning- I mean they feel like they have a fever- I feel the heat coming from my legs. Not good. I talk to the girls and we are now heading back home- my flip flops are causing pain to my feet. I am burnt. The insides and tops of my legs and feet ARE BURNING. My skin is tight and hitting the brakes while driving is hurting my skin. I know better than this. I have grown up in the sunshine. The girls and I are back at the house, and I use cold water to clean off and then it is ALOE VERA for me.

This was yesterday. Today it is reddish brown- and this is a sunburn for the record books- not my proudest moment. I do have a nice tan on my face and arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment