Friday, July 31, 2009

Cruel; Cruel Summer

BananaRama song. I just love the eighties music.
The summer has gone by far to quickly for me, and for the girls.
My youngest just turned 15 two weeks ago. She was given summer homework; this is for those students who excel- ironic huh? when I was a kid, summer meant down time- our brains shut OFF. Kids who fell behind had to attend summer classes.
Three books and reports and two essays, as well as an online test covering Of Mice and Men. In addition, she must have her science fair project outline ready on the first day of school (August 19th). Did I mention the history project?
As an aside- her subject matter for the science project- flip flops and fungus- How will she gather data- used flip flops- with a control pair of unused( I bought them she hated them).

We as adults do not get summers off, so I am not the most sympathetic mom around. She did read two books, and has found her project subject. She has not written any reports. Her time is running out and she is upset about the interference with summer " activities". These activities include- sleeping A LOT, tennis, going to the lake, going to the movies( every week) and spending time with friends A LOT. She has been involved with church youth activities, and did spend a week with grandma. Next week we will be in Washington DC(Thursday- Tuesday, followed by family in town; (Wednesday, Thursday) followed by family out of town( Friday- Monday); followed by school beginning(Wed).

We as moms are so ready for school to start. Our kids can't imagine why...

Let me just say here- My daughter is a great student, and is in advanced placement classes, as well as the fact that she excels in sports and her involvement with our youth group at Church at Rock Creek.
For those looking for science fair project ideas , we have found ideas on sites such as science buddies, and scifair.org. ( NO I am not getting paid)

No comments:

Post a Comment