Saturday, July 25, 2009

My momma did it

As I get older I see more of my mother in my conversation and habits. Hmm, some habits are healthy such as going to church, and eating my veggies. Some habits, maybe not so much.
Within my clientele I often see that habits are carried(not all good) into the next generation; Without questioning how useful this might be.
An example I often see is related to hoarding food and condiments. Sounds crazy I know; but my own family has done the same thing. I bet my mom has enough ketchup packets from fast food stores to last several years. She also re uses sandwich bags and aluminum foil( habits I am now trying to break).
Sugar packets and salt packets- I do not remember ever going into a home of elderly that did not have the single size sugar or Sweet and Low packets in abundance.
Families may find this behavior difficult to change in those that show signs of dementia. Keep in mind that often they have a fear of catastrophic events occurring and they feel the need to be prepared.


There are a few things families can do to minimize hoarding.

*Declutter the home during in-home visits by a therapist or professional organizer.
*Limit choices, (e.g., keep, recycle, sell, give or throw away). Make clear decision rules for each choice, (e.g., keep only 10 plastic bags, dispose of or recycle others). Use broad categories instead of many specific ones. Accept that others, including experts, may do things differently.
*Help your aging relative organize and categorize possessions to help decide which ones to discard.

Keep these thoughts in mind :

Memory related concerns: They may hold underlying beliefs that possessions are needed as reminders.
Fear of making a mistake or not being prepared for crises play a role in hoarding among the elderly.
Another issue may be related to insecurity in making the decision to discard an item. Loss of cognitive function may affect the ability to make decisions.
Poor insight into the consequences( such as messy home or crowded living space) also play a role in hoarding.

Finally: Have Patience

1 comment:

  1. Dear, Mrs "Midle age"...( he.he..excuse me )
    ...
    I am agree with You..
    how we must more be care to act as a parent..
    to make a new habbit thats more better and breaking a old bad habbit,..
    ...
    About hoarding,..as a javanese we're so possesive to all things that belonged ..
    'cos,..a suffering,.. a pooring always be a background of our life...
    But,..I try to minimize hoarding,..
    excactly,..my concept,.inspired by oprah winfrey's shows..thats campaign a breaking a hoarding too...

    Nice to meet u,..and family in Cyber Mrs single Mom..he.he

    ReplyDelete