Friday, September 4, 2009

School volunteer work-

I always viewed school volunteer work as helping the school system, never really considered how it could help my kids or me.

I have been volunteering this year partly due to more free time and partly after talking with other more experienced parents.

I first volunteered a week before school started and was able to work with parents of seniors. Moms had all types of advice on preparing for college, thru clubs, and which classes they felt most helped their kids advance for scholarships. One mom- now on her fourth teenager, explained the best clubs and hobbies(all her children received full scholarhsips to various colleges) Her youngest is a senior and has received a scholarship in the area of engineering. I learned so much from her.
Cassie is now a member of Beta(which I knew nothing about two months ago) she joined Spanish honor society; and will be volunteering at Red cross events. Of course she is in a few others- like drama club. Getting into clubs that offer volunteer opportunities is a must for a good looking college application; particularly in this tightened economy- there may be less scholarships offered than in previous years.

The moral of the story learn from others- and then pass it on- we need all the help we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment