Saturday, September 12, 2009

Shot thru the pocketbook-

Cassie and I went dress shopping today. This was not something we looked forward to. It was our second search. Cassie is 90 pounds of muscle( translation= no cleavage), and stands five feet two.

Our previous search began with a second hand shop. They had full size prices for second rate merchandise. We searched a mall on that adventure as well. Finding a small size is not easy. I do not mind having a dress altered in length, but I would like it to fit pretty well everywhere else. She feels the same way ( we agree on something- whoo hoo).

We walked into our first store; many moms and daughters were on the prowl. The color and size choices left us less than impressed. Cassie does not like stiff material, and she did not want beads. She wants blue or green, maybe navy. Well- we found a few size zeroes. They were hideous. I would post pictures but there is a sign asking that no pictures be taken. One was like a blue ostrich- feathers on the bottom, and in the cap sleeve. We laughed out loud.
We did see one that was nice- not exactly the right color- we could not find a small size- not even a two. Of course.

Store number two. Nothing under five hundred dollars. More than double my budget. She is fifteen, we bought two formals last year. I have to have a price limit. Last fall we actually bought her fall formal on Friday and the event was Saturday. I obtained it on clearance. It was elastic at the top, and had no waist; I love that dress. It was so perfect- in her words" everyone noticed how I looked; I can't wear it again-it was the first time I felt like a real girl". How can a mom argue with that?
In other words- mom top last year....

So we have no dress. I think I will post something on facebook and offer to trade with someone. Start my own online shop.
It is not just that I do not want to spend my life savings, it is that the choices are so limited. I hear women complain on tv about how large sizes are so limited; well; on the other end of the spectrum we are having the same problem.

We ended our shopping- in our favorite way- a stop at Barnes and Noble.
I have no solution for our dilemma. We could shop for this item online- but fit becomes a concern.

I will post the picture of our magical dress- when we find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment