Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Grade point systems- WHY so many?

Ok- SO my best friends son is now in 9th grade in Massachusetts. He is in Geometry- honors- Not that uncommon. What threw me is when she explained the grade point system for honors. Here in Arkansas we have PAP- which is comparable to honors and we have AP- or advanced placement- these are in addition to the traditional " regular classes" and basic classes. AP classes give the option of college credit if you pass the CLEP test offered in the spring.
Honors classes in Massachusetts do not get you college credit. BUT they get you an increased grade point system. SO an A is equal to 4.5 and A+ is equal to 4.8.
It seems like an uneven playing field. Here PAP which seems the comparable since Cassie took PAP geometry and it is not a college level credit class. It is worth the traditional 4 points. I find myself a little upset that my student who made 28 points from perfect on her national Geometry test will have a lower grade point thru no fault of her own. Logically I realize in the end the ACT and SAT scores will help to make up for this- but I know how much hard work went into her A's.
I am not sure what to make of this just yet. Since many of her older friends have full scholarships to top colleges- I feel certain it balances out somewhere. But does it affect specialized scholarships( like single parent, or maybe science award scholarships?)
This is omething I will definitly folwo up on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment